Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Talented Miss Jen Nye

My ward is having a talent show in two weeks (I think) and I signed up for it out of duty. It's not that I am completely devoid of talent... it's just that my talents aren't the kind you can really display. I am really good at organizing and alphabetizing things. Kids like me a lot. I am a sufficient listener. I can memorize names and birthdays to a creepy degree of exactness. My patriarchal blessing says that the Lord blessed me with the talent of a pleasing personality. But none of these things would be interesting to watch.

And I can write.

I have decided to read a short piece that I wrote in 2006 or 2007. I realize that reading is potentially uninteresting as well but it is the only thing I feel confident enough in to endure the possible maelstrom of disappointment. So I am going to read my two pages entitled, "The End of Things." Hopefully I don't get any tomatoes in my face! If I could dance or sing or juggle I might do those things. But writing and my "pleasing personality" are the only talents I have always had. At least in my mind. Hopefully in your mind too!

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there (I'll be out of town with my job interview), but I seriously doubt that tomatoes will be flying.... Our ward is way too polite for that. Oh, and, er, um, your reading wouldn't incite anyone to such behavior anyway. Uh-hum. Right.

    Done now.

    Right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Just kidding with that second half. My talent is teasing. Surprised it wasn't mentioned in my patriarchal blessing....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can come hang out with my husband as your talent. That's WAY interesting to watch. Okay - I just realized that sounds a little bad. You know, your humor and wittiness is amplified when you two are together. Okay, I'm stopping now. I love you, Jen. But not like that.

    ReplyDelete