Sunday, September 5, 2010

Finding the Last Sentence...

I am half dead with my evil kidneys so I am trying to get all my online stuff done before I go back upstairs to completely give up on life.

I have been thinking a lot about the writing process. I am, by nature, a very logical person. This might not ring true to those of you that know me but it is accurate. I love a good manual or guidebook. Organized steps toward any goal are always hoped for. I have bought books on how to do make-up, I have devoured texts on how to write a screenplay, and I could give you at least five different meals plans for five different lifestyles and give you reasons why each one is better than the next.

Unfortunately, life isn't really all that step-by-step friendly. This is where my crazy comes into play. I get so frustrated and disillusioned when things do not go the way that I think they should that I run away and start over. I am trying to resist that urge now but anyway... the reason that this plays into my writing process is as follows...

Everyone and their mother thinks they know that right way to write. I have read plenty of books on how to be an effective writer. I collect suggestions from successful authors that I admire (admiration is key to me - I couldn't care less how Nicholas Sparks writes a book) and I try to implement their suggestions into my schedule. This is a good place for anyone to start.

I have learned, however, that every single writer has a completely different process and to try and mold yourself into anyone else's style or system is counterproductive. My writing process is haphazard at best and I could definitely be more disciplined about when I sit and write it out. That might lead you to believe that I am not dedicated to my story or that I am just floundering from scene to scene. You would be very wrong. I don't like to start a project until I know it will be the best it can be and that is why I fail to start a lot of things. It is not a great personality trait, this perfectionist tendency, and it really makes things that should be easy quite difficult. But even if it takes a week or two for me to get to typing again, please rest assured, I know exactly where Remie is going to end up. It is so clear to me that I can see each character in my mind. I know the very last sentence.

I love the very last sentence.

I guess my point is that I am done trying to find the "right" way to accomplish things. I think that however you manage to accomplish your dreams is the right way. Just soldier on and find your last sentence.

1 comment: