Sunday, June 20, 2010

To the Parents Nye

I just finished reading a pretty amazing story called If I Stay by Gayle Forman. It is about a girl who has to decide whether to live or die after a terrible accident kills her parents and brother and puts her in a coma. Naturally this lead to me thinking about my own family. There are times in the story when she is describing her little brother who is ten years younger than her. This lead to me thinking about Jeremy who is fifteen years younger than I am and who is part my baby as much as he is part my sibling. Any of you older ones should understand this. I miss him a lot. I miss everyone a lot but Jeremy is my little spider-monkey, my baby forever. It's true. Just ask him, "How long will you be Jen's baby?" and his answer will be, "Forever." I have trained him well.
But this is supposed to be about Norm and Kathy. I love my parents. I love their generous and kind hearts. I love that they love me for who I am even when who I am doesn't make much sense to them. I love that they are protective and defiant in the face of my illness and in the face of those that disbelieve in my illness. I love their flaws because they have taught me that being lovable and good doesn't mean you are perfect it just means you keep trying.
I love that they love each other ferociously. I have been very spoiled by my exposure to their relationship and I know I will never fall victim to settling because I have seen true love. I love that they gave me so many best friends in the guise of siblings and that through all of our crazy and unique personalities we have formed a strong web of love and tolerance that has shaped us for the outside world but that also shelters us from it.
Okay... I can't stop crying so I think this will be the end. I love you, Mom and Dad.

1 comment:

  1. so beautiful, feeling a little guilty i intruded by reading

    ReplyDelete