Monday, January 11, 2010

A Place Before Tears...

Oh, how maudlin. Really it is just a phrase from my very favorite piece of literature, The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I was asked to pick the novel for Book Club this month and, of course, this is the title that spilled from my lips. Nobody had any real response, having never heard of it. Well, that isn't true, Sarah groaned thinking that it was going to be a cheesy love story because of the title. It is NOT a cheesy love story. It's not really a love story at all, not in the traditional sense. It is a story about love. Read it and you will understand.

I do not recommend books very often because I know that every reader has their own personal way of taking these written worlds into their own lives. I try not to belittle the experiences readers have with certain books that I might not have responded to and I expect that same in return. But this book is magic. I think you will agree.

WHY I LOVE THE HISTORY OF LOVE

Because it shows love in a true, heartbreaking, life altering light.
Because Nicole Krauss has a turn of phrase that is unique and full of truth.
Because every girl is named Alma.

WHY I FEEL SORROW BECAUSE OF THE HISTORY OF LOVE

Because I know that I will never achieve the poetry and honesty of this book. I do not possess such genius.

READ IT! You will not be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I remember you mentioning this one, and for some reason I always have to hear a title twice before I remember to check it out. So now I've heard it twice and I'll add it to goodreads so I don't forget. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete